Sunday, 29 December 2013

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - review

I can trace my love of all things fantasy directly back to the first time I read The Hobbit at the age of around nine and, as such, it's always had a special place in my affections. Maybe that's why, despite his success at adapting The Lord of the Rings for the big screen, I had doubts about Peter Jackson's ability to do the same for my childhood favourite. The Hobbit is, after all, a children's book at heart and the decision to turn it into an epic trilogy has ruffled more than a few giant eagle feathers.


The second film in that trilogy, The Desolation of Smaug, is in cinemas now, so just how well is Jackson's return to Middle Earth faring? Does it languish under the gloom of Mirkwood, or sparkle with the lustre of the Arkenstone?

Read my comprehensive and yet still surprisingly spoiler-free review at Fanboys Anonymous!


No comments:

Post a Comment